During his regime, Jerry Rawlings managed to accomplish the following:
- According to the World’s bank development report of 1999-2000, the introduction of the NDC agricultural program and policy from 1994 to 2000 saw Ghana on the map as one of the leading food producers in the world. It came after Jordan at 157%, and China who were at 156%. This was the third-highest achievement to be experienced in the country.
- Both Queen Elizabeth II and the former US president Bill Clinton visited Ghana during the tenure of Jerry John Rawlings to highlight the successes of the country.
- Expanded electricity to Northern parts of Ghana – hitherto ignored by ruling elites since 1957.
- JJ Rawlings played a significant role in peacekeeping and dispute resolution in various unstable countries in the sub-Saharan West African region and the entire African continent.
- Came to the rescue of hundreds of thousands of Ghanaians living in Nigeria who were expelled. He ensured they got somewhere to stay at El-Wak stadium in 1983 and then assisted them to relocate to their family homes. These help saw some advanced economies such as Germany suffer because of this integrated reunification.
- Created 110 districts, through non-partisan district level elections. Education, infrastructure developments, and healthcare all devolved to the district level. Annual government subvention by law goes to the district — unthinkable in many other African countries.
- Achieved economic and political stability in a region rife with conflicts (for example Liberia, Côte d’Ivoire, Togo, Guinea Bissau and Sierra Leone).
- Ghana’s huge reputation in international peacekeeping, coupled with the ability of H. E JJ Rawlings to get the illustrious son of Ghana, Kofi Annan, elected as the Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- He significantly improved the health sector by constructing the modern regional hospitals at Sunyani Cape Coast, and Cape Coast. So many district hospitals were built during his time as president, to cater for the medical needs of the citizens of Ghana.
- Established the University for Development Studies, and used his Hunger Award Prize Money to buy books for the University’s Library.
- The sprawling housing sector in Lashibi, Sakumono, Adenta, and the ones on Spintex Road, all came up during his era. The SSNIT estates found all over Ghana were built during his rule.
- By the end of his tenure, so many Ghanaians had access to clean water. This played a big part in the eradication of Guinea worm in Ghana.
- He spearheaded the policy of allowing the establishment of private tertiary institutions, including Universities, to cater to the public, for each Ghanaian to be involved in higher education. He introduced the administration of one region, one Polytechnic.
- In 2001 after the general elections, there was a smooth transition from the rise to greater heights, Ghana has known nothing short of immense economic growth. His legacy will live on forever among the future generations of Ghana.
Jerry John Rawlings joining the Ghana Air Force could not have happened at a time that is more appropriate. Because of the zeal to see his country rise to greater heights, Ghana has known nothing short of immense economic growth. His legacy will live on forever among the future generations of Ghana.